Coming soon... July 2018!
Heart disease is the leading cause of premature death for women in Canada. When it comes to heart disease, women are under-studied, under-diagnosed, under-treated, under-supported and under-aware.
Women themselves tend to under-estimate the risk of dying or becoming seriously unwell due to heart disease. Educating women greatly increases their willingness and ability to take heart-protective action, which is why the Canadian Women’s Heart Health Centre (CWHHC) aims to inform women about heart disease and how they can take appropriate action to minimize their risk.
What is advocacy?
Advocacy is how we transform public attitudes into action by educating, empowering and supporting individuals and communities. An advocate is an individual who supports or recommends a cause, policy or practice – anyone working to make the world a better place.
It is our hope…
Join us in our commitment to ensuring that every woman, in every community, becomes more aware of how heart disease and its risks can impact a woman.
What is it
The Community Advocate Toolkit is a resource to enable women to deliver heart health education within their local communities.
How it works
To become a CWHHC Community Advocate:
- Step 1 – Complete the webform below and review the Terms of Participation
- Step 2 – If you meet the eligibility criteria, you will provided a ‘private code’ to gain access to the online toolkit training course. Once the training modules are complete, your certificate of completion will be sent to the CWHHC.
- Step 3 - You will be provided login details to access the speaker kit, resources and guidelines to support you in organizing community events.
* Please note: you will need to have login details for access to the toolkit.
e-Course Training Curriculum
The course is comprised of 5 chapters and can be accessed through any computer and upon successful completion of the course, participants will receive a certificate of completion. See learning objectives (coming soon).
- Community Advocate Toolkit Overview
- Sharing Your Story for the Greatest Impact
- Presentation Skills 101
- Women’s Heart Health Overview – Because Her Heart Matters Too
- How to Plan a Women’s Heart Health Community Event
*Please note: If you qualify to access this training portal you would have received a private code (password) from the Canadian Women's Heart Health Centre along with instructions to how to register. If you have misplaced your private code information, or have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you Eligible?
You would be eligible to access the training course and the Community Advocate Toolkit if you fall within one of following categories:
- A woman at risk of heart disease
- A woman diagnosed with heart disease
- A family member or caregiver of a woman with heart disease
- You do not have heart disease and may/may not be at risk of heart disease but you are passionate about supporting women’s heart health
For more information about this initiative, e-mail us at email@example.com or call 613-696-7071 or 1-866-399-4432 (toll-free).
University of Ottawa Heart Institute
Canadian Women’s Heart Health Centre
40 Ruskin Street, Room H2353